When I was seven years old, I had a dream that the world was ending. I asked in the dream how we could prevent this from happening. I was told to gather my friends, go in search of “Lincoln’s authentic bones” and “restore them to their rightful place.” Even at the age of seven I understood the symbolic meaning of this dream and have been preparing ever since. Well, it seems that the end times are now here. Not the apocalyptic destruction of the world as some have interpreted the prophet’s words. Instead, it is the end of the world as we have known it – a world built on fear, power and control, ruled by a rich and powerful few.
I am certain the end times are upon us as I gaze out into the increasing polarization and insanity of our world. I know it more intimately by the SOS calls I am getting from family, friends, clients and students of their own world seemingly falling apart. I also see it in the many conversations with my Magdalene sisters and brothers of the chaos they are witnessing in the lives of people they love and care for. As the patriarchy (the system built on fear, power and control) approaches its final days, the death throes will only become louder. As those currently in power, those who benefit from their power, and those who have been indoctrinated by their power cling to survival, chaos will rise.
It is not for us to become distracted by this chaos, however, or get drawn into it. Instead, we are invited to tend to ourselves so that we might not only survive the end times, but thrive upon the ashes of what will remain after the patriarchy has burned itself to the ground. Now more than ever we must tend to ourselves, because:
We are not here to save the dying world. We are here to witness its destruction while supporting ourselves in building something new.
Self Care. Self Care. Self Care.
Surviving the end times while supporting ourselves in building something new starts and ends with SELF CARE. This is the greatest irony in a world ruled by those who care for no one but themselves, while conditioning us to think of everyone but ourselves. (what!?) Yep…you heard that right. To survive the dying world, we have to turn the tables on our conditioning. Instead of “me last,” we have to start thinking “ME FIRST.” In order to do this we have to look deep within ourselves for the answer to this question:
WHAT DO I NEED?
Seems simple right? Not so much. What we actually need to feel peaceful, whole, content, joyful and fulfilled has been buried under a lifetime of conditioning. Who you truly are and what you truly need is buried under a mountain of “shoulds” and “should nots.” Just pause for a moment and think of all the “shoulds” that currently govern your life. Some may be obvious, others more subtle. Here’s a simple one: “You should pay your bills on time.” Says who? And Why? Who is harmed if you pay your bill a day late, or two weeks late? As long as it gets paid, who cares? Speaking of paying your bills…another should: “You should pay off all your debts. Only bad and irresponsible people file bankruptcy.” Again….says who? In a world where money is literally based in debt and where banks are getting rich on the backs of the poor and where the system is set up to keep us imprisoned by debt…then what is wrong with saying “NO” to the system that imprisons us? Speaking of imprisonment – here’s a more subtle one – “You should be nice to others.” Again, why? If “being nice” is an obstacle to us getting our needs met, setting boundaries in our life, or keeping ourselves and our loved ones safe, then we can most certainly dispense with “being nice.”
Ultimately, surviving the end times is about extracting ourselves from that which has imprisoned us – those things set forth by the ruling (and dying) culture which have kept us from truly being free. Free people know their truth, live from that truth and refuse to be hindered by a culture or a system that would prevent them from being that truth.
First Aid for the End Times
- If we want to survive the end times, there are a few critical things that support our self-care:
- DO NOT get drawn into or distracted by the chaos of the dying world. LET IT DIE.
- Refrain from trying to fix or save a world that cannot be saved!
- Tend to your triggers. WHEN the death rattle of the dying world triggers your fears, anxieties or unhealed wounds – TEND to those wounds.
- BE 100% accountable for your own shit! Anxious? Afraid? Insecure? Threatened? Worried? Obsessed? NAME IT. CLAIM IT. Do something about it!
- CHECK YOURSELF! Don’t take your wounds out on others or try to make them someone else’s responsibility. HEAL YOURSELF.
If you need help with any of the above, that is my area of expertise! Get instruction and support through my online courses, one-on-one mentoring, read my book Authentic Freedom, subscribe to my Authentic Freedom Weekly lesson, become part of our social network, join our Teacher’s Circle. I am here for the sole/soul purpose of supporting you in unraveling from the dying world while creating the world in which you truly want to live.
Bonus Material for Empaths
If you are an empath, what I said above about self-care is of infinite importance. As empaths, we are not only experiencing our own emotions related to the simultaneously dying and birthing worlds, we are feeling the emotions of everyone else. With this, self-care becomes even more critical. Self-care that is radical in the face of our action-oriented culture. As empaths we MUST:
- Carve out time for the energies we are feeling to be transmuted and released. (this is the job we are doing for the sake of our world….and no, we don’t get “paid” (not in any material way anyway) to do this work).
- Honor whatever is happening in our bodies and emotions. NO JUDGMENT.
- Remember that what we are feeling may not be our own.
- Don’t react or try to “fix” how we are feeling. BE WITH IT and it will move. What we resist will persist.
- REST! REST! REST! NAP! NAP! NAP! Our bodies are processing deep and powerful energies and it is taxing to our fragile human systems. Give yourself a break for Goddess’ sake!
- Nurture yourself. Take time to do what you love. Read. Relax. Create. Spend time in nature. Spend time in nature! (I need this reminder! )
- If you don’t have one already, cultivate a regular spiritual practice.
- Surround yourself with loving and caring people. Dump the energy suckers! You have enough work to do without being a host for parasites too!
- Without being a fanatic – eat well. Your body will tell you what you need. No need to embrace any radical (more shoulds) diet. Just eat what feels right to your body. Also, be gentle on any body-shaming you might be tempted to engage in. Sometimes we need a little extra weight to nourish the world that is trying to be born through us.
- Professor Lupin was right – a small piece of chocolate does wonders in restoring our bodies from the ravages of Dementors!
- Reach out for support when you need it! Not if you need it. WHEN you need it.
- Remember you are not in this alone.
NOTE: This is an excerpt from this week’s Authentic Freedom Weekly Lesson. The full lesson is available by subscription and includes practices for applying this each lesson. Learn more HERE.