Authentic Freedom Academy is a center for experiential education, supporting the transformation of human consciousness through the integration of Western psychology and Western Spirituality, equipping students to be agents of positive, non-violent change in the world.
We accomplish this mission through:
- writing and publishing
- one-on-one mentoring
- local and online courses
- on-going service to the community
Outer change begins with inner change.
Inner change begins with self-knowledge.
Self- Knowledge leads to self-actualization.
Self-actualized individuals, are inherently non-violent, cooperative and collaborative, and are naturally motivated to use their unique gifts in service to the betterment of the world.
Authentic Freedom™ is a trademarked protocol developed by Lauri Ann Lumby, OM, MATS, founder and director of Authentic Freedom Academy. Authentic Freedom™ integrates specific tools and practices of Western Psychology with those of Western Spirituality, resulting in a powerful process through which participants are supported in becoming self-actualized and are then empowered to share their unique giftedness in service to the betterment of the world.
Specific Tools used in Authentic Freedom™:
- Western, Eastern and Indigenous Mindfulness, Contemplation and Journey practices
- The Spiritual Exercises and Rules of Discernment of St. Ignatius
- Creativity Practices
- The Myers-Briggs Personality Profile
- The Enneagram Temperament Tool
- The Spiritual/Personal Gifts Inventory
- The Authentic Freedom™ protocol
From Western Psychology, Authentic Freedom™ draws from:
- Carl Jung’s creative imagination, archetype and shadow work
- Abraham Maslow’s hierarchy of needs and theories of self-actualization
- The humanistic theories and creativity practices of Carl and Natalie Rogers
- The stages of spiritual development of James Fowler and John Westerhoff
- Bill Plotkin’s development of the human Soul
From Western Spirituality, Authentic Freedom™ has its roots in the original teachings of Jesus* which were then formalized into the meditation, contemplation and service practices of Western Monasticism, specifically those favored in Benedictine, Franciscan, and Ignatian spirituality.
*The original teachings of Jesus are those rooted in the universal (and non-religious) call of love:
- love of God (the God of your own understanding)
- love of Self
- love of Neighbor – recognizing that all of humanity is our neighbor
- lived out through acts of compassion
- working for justice
What Authentic Freedom is not:
- Authentic Freedom is not counseling. Whereas counseling focuses on treating “disease” and supporting behavior modification and recovery, the focus in Authentic Freedom is self-awareness and deep, enduring transformation. Authentic Freedom may include the healing of old wounds and unresolved trauma, but it is accomplished through supporting deep, inner change. In Authentic Freedom, anxiety, depression and panic attacks are not pathologized but are acknowledged as symptoms of the Soul longing for its fulfillment, symptoms that subside on their own the closer we get to the purpose of our Soul.
- Authentic Freedom is not life-coaching. While encouragement and support are a big part of Authentic Freedom, the emphasis is on personal responsibility, accountability and empowerment. The goal of Authentic Freedom is that one day you will no longer need our services because you will have all the tools you need to fly on your own.
NOTE: If you are under the care of a licensed therapist or life coach, you will find that Authentic Freedom complements this work by providing you with additional tools in support of your overall goals of self-care.
Contact Lauri Lumby today to find out how Authentic Freedom might be for you. firstname.lastname@example.org or (920) 230-1313.