Hee hee. I love reading the words that people “google” that end up leading them to my website. Every once in awhile, these words stir me to write more on the topic for which they are seeking. Today, the phrase that struck me was, “Mystics are not normal.” Therefore, this will be the topic of today’s blog.
No We Are Not
Normal, that is. 🙂 You probably already have a pretty good idea that you might be a mystic if you are reading this blog, and if you don’t already know, here are a few clues:
- Mystics see the world through a different set of eyes
- Mystics hear with a different set of ears.
- Mystics sense and have most likely had experiences or encounters that suggest there is a world beyond our own.
- Mystics may have a fully developed relationship with a world beyond the world that we can touch, taste, feel, hear and see with our physical senses.
- Mystics tend to be heaven-bent on bringing heaven to earth (or whatever their unique language is for making the earth into a loving, peaceful, abundant place).
- Mystics are changemakers, shit-disturbers, way-showers, pioneers, and prophets.
- Mystics are NOT received favorably by those who prefer the status quo or by those whose life, power, wealth, status, etc. depend on the current paradigm or way of being.
- Mystics can often see the truth beyond illusions, hear the truth beyond the words and possess a vision of the highest potential of humankind.
- Mystics are often also prophets – they are able to read the sign of the times and “predict” the direction in which things will continue to unfold.
In her introduction to the Poems of St. John of the Cross, P.J. Kavanagh defines the way of the mystic as “this search of the soul for union with God, and of God with the soul. (Peers, 2000, p. 17)” My experience is that this is what ultimately distinguishes a mystic from others who might be wearing the costume or speaking the language of a mystic but who in truth have no interest in God (remember, my definition of “God” greatly transcends the “Old Man in the Sky.”) An interesting note about normal, however…I’m not sure if it is because we have many more ways of connecting than our ancestors did, but it seems to me as if there are an enormous number of mystics walking the face of Mother Earth today. Mystics, it seems, are coming out of the woodwork and those who have been asleep are waking up. With the arrival of the so-called “Indigo, Crystal, Rainbow, etc.” children, it seems as if this is what God/dess intended. The mystics I know have been planted with a vision of a new earth and are driven to work toward making this vision real. As such, I sometimes wonder if being a mystic will soon be the new normal. I guess time will tell. 🙂
Lauri Lumby has worked with hundreds of men and women in their journey of waking up to their highest potential and has helped them to birth their Soul – the uniquely creative way in which they have been gifted to find meaning, purpose and connection in their lives and the way in which they have been gifted to serve the betterment of humankind.