People frequently ask me what it means to be a Spiritual Director. I developed this little hand-out to help answer that question.
The goal of Spiritual Direction is to uncover the deepest truths that reside within us. Through objective listening and attentive presence, a trained Spiritual Director helps you search and discover the answers to the questions of your life:
- Who Am I?
- How can I cultivate a deeper connection with my inner source of peace and joy?
- What are my gifts and how am I being called to use them?
- What are the inner blocks preventing me from claiming my most authentic self?
Through Spiritual Direction, you are given effective tools through which you can not only discover but live the answers to these questions.
Additionally, Spiritual Direction provides a safe and sacred space where you are free to:
- Name and Claim your truth
- Grieve your losses
- Release shame and guilt
- Let go of spiritual fears
- Heal addictive and compulsive behaviors
- Cultivate healthy, intimate relationships
- Rediscover inner peace and contentment
A trained, professional Spiritual Director is someone who has been formally educated in theology, spirituality and spiritual practices specific to their particular belief system and who has been trained and tested in effective listening and counseling skills. Spiritual Director’s traditionally come out of the Monastic model of Christian spirituality, but are not limited by the beliefs or traditions of this model. A truly effect Spiritual Director is able to meet people exactly where they are at, regardless of their religious beliefs or practices and whether or not they come out of a theistic (belief in a personal God) perspective of the Divine. At its best, Spiritual Direction transcends belief, practice and life situation.
Authentic Freedom Ministries