Today is a day of gratitude. As such, I want to take a moment and thank my clients, students and blog readers for their on-going and generous financial contributions to this ministry. It is only because of these contributions that I am able to continue this work. I am humbled and honored to be able to be a vessel through which healing and maybe a little light can be brought into our world. Thank you!
Invitation to Gratitude
In my blog today, I want to share with you the invitation to gratitude. Yesterday proved to be a strange day that in many cases might have put me over the stress edge, but instead, I found myself in a state of peaceful contentment. When I pondered this on Facebook, I was reminded by a friend that perhaps the reason I was at peace was because of my on-going commitment to my spiritual practice. HHHMMM….she just might have something there! So here is what happened:
Like Any Other Day
The day started off as any other Thursday. I got up, tended to my “morning pages” (a spiritual writing practice), had breakfast, coffee, read the paper (yes, I still read the newspaper..in hard-copy!), got my kids up, practiced meditation, got the kids off for school, took a shower and prepared for my day. I had a glorious two hours at the local coffee shop with a dear friend, then went to a local store to do some shopping.
Here is where the day went haywire! I went to my car after doing a little shopping and it would not start. My car was broken down and that meant that I would have to cancel all my plans for the remainder of the day to tend to my car and deal with being without transportation. For the old Lauri (before meditation), this might have sent me over the brink. I would have experienced enormous stress, anger, frustration, impatience, etc. And in truth, the after meditation Lauri might experience all this as well. But instead, I found myself peaceful, calm and in gratitude. GRATITUDE? Who feels gratitude over a broken down car? I know, weird! But here are the things that happened to support this feeling of gratitude:
- I had a warm place to stay and make all the necessary calls about my broken down car (Scot, AAA, the mechanic, my afternoon appointments) and since a friend owned the business, I was welcome to stay as long as I needed (which ended up being over an hour)
- I HAVE AAA!!!!!! If you do not have AAA, you need to get it! They handled everything….calling the tow truck, paying for the tow, etc. I LOVE AAA!!!! (PS If you are a single woman….AAA is a MUST!)
- The tow truck operator was SUPER nice and a gentleman…he even opened the car door to let me in!
- I LOVE Jacobsen Auto in Oshkosh!!!!! Lori and Alisa were warm and welcoming when I arrived and made sure I had a way to get home until my car is done.
- I know that whatever is wrong with my car is a quick, cheap and easy fix. (Do you hear me Lance?)
- While I missed not being able to keep my afternoon appointments, I was able to accomplish equally satisfying work at home.
- I got to finish the novel I’m reading (Dead Sexy by Tate Halloway)
- I found inspiration for a novel that I am working on and had time to put it to laptop!
In the old days, I might have responded to this unexpected turn of events in a much different way. So, I am grateful for the spiritual practices that have allowed me to be more open to surprises, more trusting in favorable outcomes and more peaceful in the face of stress and conflict. YEA!
Then here is the bonus…..because I had to sit home all day, I had time to follow up with some authors that I am hoping will read and provide and endorsement for my book, Authentic Freedom – Claiming a Life of Contentment and Joy. And guess what….gratitude of gratitude, I went to my email this morning and found they had all responded and I now have three more authors who are happy to read and endorse my book! YEA !!! So, here is a shout out of thanks to the authors who will be endorsing my book: Julie Tallard Johnson, Darren Main, Richard Smoley, Jay Ramsay, Tau Malachi, William Rand, and Michael Mirdad. Thanks!
Where are you being invited to find gratitude today?
Authentic Freedom Ministries